Friday 2 August 2013

Let's talk.

I've been actively volunteering with different organisations since this time last year. It started of light and took me a while to adapt to the volunteering way of life as I found it was much different to anything I had really been exposed to before. Before I knew it I was involved in a couple of different organisations and I had become a regular volunteer - involving myself as much as I could when I was't completely under the stresses of those that come with A-levels. I really began to love volunteering and I would really urge any of you out there to try it, what have you got to lose right?

So, my first 'official' shift started at the hospice yesterday. After having completed 3 shifts under the supervision of a fellow volunteer I took hold of the reigns finally and went solo. I've got to admit I was a bit nervous at first but as soon as I started I instantly felt comfortable - which I think is partly due to the friendly staff and volunteers at the hospice. 

I went about the routine as I had done previously and followed the time schedule as best as I could. Checking in with the patients and their visitors is most definitely my favourite part and gives me a chance to see how they're all doing (not just an excuse for talking). 

Yesterday was different though. I had always had little chats here and there with the patients but most of them hadn't really been up for conversation per say, which was completely understandable considering the conditions they were in. I respected their privacy and understood if they didn't want to be disturbed, after all I was just there to help. However, this time was different. Whilst on my ward round I somehow managed to strike up a conversation with one of the patients. We talked for a good 25 minutes about her life, my life, our experiences, everything! I explained to her that I wanted to do medicine and she replied by saying that she was glad someone of my generation was being ambitious. I was humbled. She outlined that she personally thought a doctor should be 'empathetic without being emotionally involved' - something I'm sure I'll keep in mind throughout my (hopefully) future medical career. I completely understood where she was coming from as being emotionally involved in a case would surely be detrimental to the judgement of the doctor which may lead to the wrong decisions being made. 

I listened to her stories about her travels, and it was clear that she had really enjoyed her life. She'd done it all, fearless of where she would end up. She was also persistent to continue with her brave attitude as she told me how she had come to terms with her condition but her family hadn't. The conversation definitely cleared up any of my ignorances before as I become more aware and more conscious that these were people who had all lived lives so unique and so different and that they should be treated with that in mind. They should not just be seen as symptoms of a disease to be controlled. No, they should be seen as individuals. People who unfortunately have become a victim to bad health and are now in need of our help, and it's our duty to aid them with anything they may need, whether it be spiritual, psychological, or physical. 

This moving conversation is something I'm sure I will remember in the future and is something that truly certified not only my love for the patient interaction involved in medicine but it certified my love for volunteering. I'd always heard about these stories from other people who made it seem like the norm. I'm glad to learn it's not the norm because when these conversations do happen once a while and out-of-the-blue it makes them all the more special.

I really do wish her and her family all the best. Her fearless attitude will always be inspirational to me. 

Thank you for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment